Add Reply
New Poll

Resisting A Break, Amaretto
Mutant
  • 21 yrs
Posted On: Nov 1 2016, 01:19 AM
Every so often it was the break between classes that got Vitale through the day. As much as he enjoyed learning, and as much as being around others was exciting, it could get overwhelming for the young man. He imagined that mindset was likely left over from being homeschooled for so long and tried not to let it get to him. As soon as his class ended he drifted through the hallways like liquid, not even allowing a glancing touch from those around him. Another little quirk of his he supposed. Ultimately a worthless thought that he cast aside as he made his way out into the courtyard, soaking up the sun on his skin and the fresh air in his lungs. Relief.

Any other day he might be tempted to grab a coffee from the cafe, but the sun felt so sweet he couldn't bring himself to go sit inside even just to wait a few minutes for a drink. Vitale found himself a bench in the sunshine to sit at and contemplated how to spend his break beyond just soaking up the rays. Essays, reading, brainstorming. Plenty of work to do for one class or another, yet he didn't feel like devoting the time. Vitale's hands slipped into his bag and he pulled free the one thing that could quiet his mind. Only a little embarrassment bubbled beneath the surface as he pulled free a pair of knitting needles with a half finished scarf draping off. Two rows into his routine had calmed him entirely, letting him look out towards the rest of the people without feeling a constant pressure of anxiety at the weight of their presence. There was someone though that caught his eye- familiar.

His dark crop of hair and sad expression always tugged at Vitale's heartstrings- more than watching him walk with that blind man's cane. They'd been in the same class before and it was instantly apparent what kept him so unhappy. People were awful, and rarely made an effort to be as respectful to the young man as he deserved. Vitale couldn't understand why it was so challenging for people to get out of their own asses long enough to be decent to others who needed it. A kind word did wonders for anyone when they had that kind of a miserable expression, or at least that's what Vitale thought... Moses. That was the name. Vitale realized after a moment that he'd completely stopped knitting and had been staring, rather rudely.

A blush took his face while he looked down and tried to collect himself. It wasn't all that often that he found himself doing something that would be classified in the vein of having poor manners, but staring at someone like that qualified to him even if the person wasn't capable of calling him out on it. Vitale looked back up sheepishly only to see a few people hovering near Moses. There was something about them that unsettled Vitale, he was left with a sour feeling wondering if he was just being ridiculous. A few more moments slipped by and Moses was a little closer to them- one moved as if he were about to trip the blind man. Anger igniting instantly, Vitale clutched his knitting needles in his fists and jumped up. In the blink he was close enough to push the bastard back, far enough away from Moses that he'd be able to continue on without worry. Still, he was close enough to hear.

"Take it somewhere else, asshole. He's got enough to worry about without some dick like you trying to trip him," Vitale's voice was sharp, low and threatening. In retrospect he imagined he should have left the knitting needles behind while trying to be a badass, because their eyes instantly traveled down towards the objects of femininity and they smirked at him.

"Oh? So big man with the little knitting project here is going to do something about it?"

Glancing back towards Moses and feeling suddenly fierce, Vitale held up a needle and looked to the idiots in front of him. "It's a high quality needle, I wonder how far I could thrust it into your eye. Hey, then maybe you'd have a little sympathy hm?" He hoped he sounded a lot tougher than he felt, and it seemed he did when the idiots exchanged looks and hissed under their breath about finding something better to do. Sighing in relief, Vitale turned back towards Moses. A wave of nerves hit him since the tense situation had passed, so when he spoke it came out a little stiff and awkward. "Are you... alright?"
note/tag
Basilisk
  • 19 yrs
  • Single
Posted On: Nov 10 2016, 09:48 AM
This mess is mine
The world was cruel, and it was unkind. He knew this better than anyone else. People couldn't be nice to things they don't understand, and his disability was one that they could not experience, and therefore could not empathize with. His blindness was a curse, and with it it brought and entire slew of difficulties that he couldn't manage on his own. He knew he should, he was nineteen already, an adult in the eyes of his estranged family and the world around him. And yet, he could not walk down the street without company, because he was a prime target. He'd always been a prime target, and he understood this better than anyone else. He was a meaningless existence, and the only reason why he continued to exist was because he was too scared to snuff out his own life. He was pathetic, but he continued, stuck in his own mind.

Things so far today had been bearable, with his nanny around to lead him where he needed to be. It was a little easier, with her around. Xingmei was a fierce older woman and chased away those who wished to do harm to him, just because they could. On most days he could not walk down the hallways by himself for fear of being tripped, or his cane taken from him. He was safe with Xingmei around. Only, she wasn't here today.

His parents had wanted to talk to her, probably about their useless son, and so she had to leave early, leaving him behind in a battlefield that he could not navigate to the best of his abilities. Sure, he knew the hallways, knew how many steps it took, how many turns he had to make; it was all tucked away in his mind. But without Xingmei his nerves got the better of him, and he lost count, lost where he was.

He knew from the breeze ruffling his hair that he was outside. The air smelt crisp and he could distinctly smell the scent of Autumn around him. Courtyard. Okay, so now he knew where he was, but not specifically, and as he continued forward his anxiousness grew. The courtyard was a dangerous place for him to be in. This is where, on most days he got attacked. It made his heart thunder and his throat dry up, and he swallowed harshly. He could hear laughter, in front of him, mean and condescending, meant for him. Grip tightening on his cane, he moved closer to the danger zone.

And a flurry of things happened once. He felt another presence rush in, and voices, the one nearest him... defending him? What? Moses' body froze, unsure of what to do as he listened to the exchange, heart pounding hard and fast in his ribcage. His pale eyes flashed a dull yellow with fear. Then, there was quiet, and that same voice that defending spoke up, sounding as nervous and unsure as he felt. He jumped at the sudden attention, and swallowed harshly, attempting to gauge where this person was. In front? Behind? It sounded like he was a little behind him, and he moved his body, tilted his head to where he thought this person was. His voice sounded... familiar, and for a moment he wondered where he had heard it before when his nerves kicked in, making his hands tremble.

"I-i... I-'m fine...," he murmured softly, fiddling with his cane. "T-thank you... for helping me." Right, he had to thank him. Manners. This stranger helped him, he had to thank him. Moses bit his lip softly, not sure what to say now. He didn't really talk to others, and they didn't really talk to him. How was he supposed to react to this situation? What was he supposed to do now? Does he leave? Does he stay? Does he ask the same thing? Maybe he should ask the same thing. "Are you... um... a-alright... too?" Gods above that sounded so awkward. What are you doing Moses. Just stop trying.

Tags: @Ash

Mutant
  • 21 yrs
Posted On: Nov 10 2016, 10:58 PM
Vitale felt a wave of guilt at how rude he was being. Moses didn't know where exactly he stood so he hardly knew where to address the stranger, and it wasn't as if Vitale had offered up his name after... Swallowing, trying to push through his nerves, the young man stood straight and tried to calm himself enough to remember his manners better. Something about the way that Moses trembled a little and struggled with his words made Vitale's heart beat a little fast. Then of course there was also the way that Moses ended up asking if he was okay... It was touching in a peculiar way.

"O-oh, you don't need to worry about me. I'm just glad those idiots gave up because I'm not sure I have the physical strength to skewer anyone," Vitale admitted, looking down with a slightly wistful smile. Interactions were challenging for him- it didn't help that this particular interaction was a little more challenging based on the fact that Vitale had put himself out for another human. Vitale didn't like the concept of someone being indebted to him for anything that he considered simply the "right" thing to do. Not defending Moses would have ate at him because Moses was as much a valuable person as anyone else. It didn't matter in the slightest to Vitale that he had his own struggles that might have branded him as worth less- everyone had struggles and Vitale didn't discount anyone for them. Fiddling with his knitting needles in a similar manner to Moses with his cane, Vitale uttered, "Sorry you have to deal with that... It's Moses right? I think we have a few classes together. I'm Vitale."

As awkward as he felt, it was getting a little easier for him to handle social situations. Being around people who were near his age was a steep learning curve that exposed him to much of life he had never quite had a handle on. Still, it must have been leaps and bounds easier than the kinds of things that Moses must have dealt with on a regular basis. That bothered Vitale who wished that equality was just a given. He tightened his grip on his knitting needle and forced himself to ask, "Are you sure you're alright? I would feel... wrong if I walked away right now. If it's not a bother, I'd like to stick by your side for a bit. I'd feel a lot better knowing for sure that those guys screw off. Do you have a class to go to or something? If you're alright with it I could guide you anywhere you need to be."

Vitale hoped that Moses would indulge him, in part because he also wanted to get the chance to learn more about him. A few people had caught Vitale's eye during his time in school, but none quite as intensely as Moses. Thoughts like that could have seemed a little creepy if someone didn't take into account Vitale's abilities. There was an intense curiosity- would his abilities grant sight to someone who had none? Had Moses every seen before? Those thoughts could have been utterly worthless if Moses wanted nothing to do with him, but Vitale couldn't help wondering.
note/tag
Basilisk
  • 19 yrs
  • Single
Posted On: Dec 1 2016, 07:50 PM
This mess is mine
Vitale... that name rung a bell, and he was struck with an audio memory of this same voice, answering questions posed by the teacher with a confident fluidity that made him a little envious. Yes, he remembered him now, and he was struck once more with the distinct feeling of insecurity. Vitale was a vibrant creature, and if he was honest with himself (which wasn't very often), he was intimidated and awed by the quiet confidence this boy seemed to have. Moses often wished he had that same kind of confidence. Maybe then he wouldn't be such a glaring disappointment to everyone around him. Maybe he'd be treated like a normal person rather than a useless animal that needed to be put down. Maybe he wouldn't want to die so much.

He found himself drifting into his thoughts, unaware that Vitale had spoken again until he had asked to accompany him. His heart jumped in his chest and he fumbled with his words, not really the type to converse to anyone for this long, and to have them talk to him so willingly. He was a pariah, and often when anyone associated with him they were targeted as well. And yet... he continued, undeterred. It made him... happy, the first time in a long time he's felt that.

"If... if you want... I-i'm not... exactly great company... s-sorry..." he murmured, shuffling in place and unsure of what to do now. He'd never gotten this far, talking to another person. How was he supposed to respond? How was he supposed to act? Being talked to as a person, and not a lame animal, was a wholly new experience for him. "I... I was heading... to the caf... w-when I, um.. g-got turned around... U-um... a-are we... in the courtyard?" It was a legitimate question, partially because he was unsure and partially because he wanted to rid himself of all the anxiety, all the doubt, even for a little bit. Moses knew that was nothing but a dream, but he could at least attempt to quiet it by asking questions.

Mutant
  • 21 yrs
Posted On: Jan 21 2017, 06:32 PM
It was both endearing and a little heart-wrenching to speak with Moses for Vitale. The urge to protect the other carried over from the situation where there was a clear threat to this- just wishing that he felt better or confident enough to interact with another person. Vitale could certainly understand the kind of nerves that were always present for him when speaking with others so to compound a problem like blindness on top of it? He couldn't imagine how difficult it must be to endure such a thing and continue moving through life. Chest tightening with emotion, Vitale looked down for a moment and tried to figure out how best to handle things. He didn't want to seem patronizing or as if he pitied Moses. Mostly Vitale just... felt for him. Honestly felt for the other because it was clear he didn't deserve everything that was thrown at him.

Vitale wanted to immediately protest when Moses claimed he wasn't good company, but he didn't want to come across too forward. He waited for Moses to finish speaking and did his best to steady his nerves before he dared chance a reply. If nothing else, Vitale wanted to come across as a confident young man who had a genuine interest in Moses' well being because he was a gentleman. Or tried to be a gentleman. Vitale just didn't want to seem like some kind of lovestruck pup just because he was interested and maybe got a rush of nervous energy whenever he looked over to... Vitale blanched and cleared his throat gently. "Well first of all yes, we are in the courtyard. I don't mind offering you my arm and guiding you wherever you need to go though because I'm quite certain you're not poor company by any means. Unless you spend the whole time being down on yourself in which case I'll be forced to compliment you, and I'm not very good at complimenting people no matter how much they deserve it."

A very slight blush touched Vitale's cheeks and he was thankful that Moses couldn't see it. He wasn't used to saying... things like that. And it was all the more embarrassing to him that he'd made it a little too obvious that he thought Moses deserved compliments he was woefully incapable of giving. Nerves fluttered through Vitale's form as he looked away, realizing he had left his things on the bench when he jumped up to help Moses. Hoping it would help him collect himself a little more Vitale said, "Give me one second, I'm going to pick up my bags from the bench I was sitting at."

The young man quickly collected his things and rushed back to Moses' side, not wanting him to feel adrift for any longer than he needed to. "I'm ready now, and I don't have class for quite a while so please don't feel like you're keeping me from anything. At worst you're keeping me from knitting a row or two while I think about how much I dread my next class. Ah, but here, my arm is extended just in front of your left arm, if you feel comfortable taking it." He extended his arm as he'd described for if Moses felt up to it.
note/tag
Basilisk
  • 19 yrs
  • Single
Posted On: Jan 23 2017, 01:43 PM
This mess is mine
He felt foolish, being so nervous around his fellow student, who was being nothing but kind to him. Perhaps it was the fact that not many people bothered to converse with him that made him so jittery, little pin pricks of electricity running through his veins. It was a new sensation that he was unfamiliar with, but it wasn't unpleasant in the slightest. It felt, warm almost, and the more he conversed with this boy (well, attempted to in the least), his erratically beating heart began to settle. It was a slow-going process, the after-affects of anxiety and fear, but it was happening, and that was a good thing. He had a natural stutter, the product of years being told that his opinion was invalid, however it lessened when he felt comfortable. Moses hoped that maybe he could feel that comfortable around this kind soul.

Vitale spoke and he listened intently, tilting his head just enough to hear a little better. Yes, his sense of hearing was incredibly heightened thanks to his missing sense, but he found it helped to hear, even if a little bit. His unruly mess of hair tended to muffle sounds. He'd have to get a haircut soon... When he heard that his guess was right, his shoulders relaxed slightly in relief. Thank goodness. So he was right in his observations. His senses were sharper than he thought they were. Though, the more he spoke, the more he felt his heart flutter at his words.

Vitale thought he was good company, despite the Basilisk Boy's glaringly apparent flaws. He could feel his cheeks flush, leaving him speechless. He... he would spend his time c menting him, even if he wasn't good at it? What on earth did this man see in him? Moses certainly wasn't worth that kind of effort, and yet, he said it so calmly, and with such a resolute air that it left him without words. As Vitale bounded away to gather his things, Moses used this time to try and pull himself out of his stupor, rubbing at his face to will the heat away. His return made him jump, only because he was stuck in his own thoughts.

There was a pause from him, a moment of uncertainty. Xing Mi was the only one he allowed to lead him anywhere. She was certainty, an unshakable monument of trust. She had never lead him astray, but at the same time he had never allowed another to lead him. Trusting others was a dangerous thing, especially for someone like him, but... Somehow, Vitale didn't feel the same as the other students here, and while he was nervous, he didn't feel animosity from him. Maybe, just maybe, he could trust him. Chewing on his bottom lip gently, he extended his hand, traveling to where Vitale said his arm was. He felt a brush of fabric, and with his heart thudding hard in his chest, his fingers found their way around his arm, secured in place.

"I've... I've never b-been lead by another p-person, save for my caretaker" he admitted softly, his free hand positioning his cane to how he would need it for travel. 'You... um.. k-know exactly.. h-how to position you arm.. s-so... thank you." Moses shuffled in place, acutely aware of how different Vitale felt compared to his dear nanny. "M-most people... t-try to grab my a-arm... " Jesus, why was making conversation so hard? He really was incredibly inept in this field. His own self-destructive nerves were going to be the death of him.

Mutant
  • 21 yrs
Posted On: May 18 2017, 02:24 AM
The very light flush that had touched Vitale's cheeks from words he was unused to speaking intensified the moment that Moses said he'd never been led by anyone besides his caretaker. That was... unexpected to say the least. Unexpected and of course a little embarrassing for Vitale. He wondered if it was insensitive to offer such a thing or if he were simply being a little too forward. Still, he knew he couldn't just not offer to help. That was outside of his comfort zone, but hopefully the fact that he was foisting his help upon this kind young man wasn't outside of his comfort zone. Vitale felt his heart flutter a little as he watched Moses adjust his walking cane a little, a sudden worry bubbling up in his chest for the simple fact that he realized he was inviting this other person to come into contact him. Though... he supposed there were worse people to invite so close to him.

"Try to grab you?" Vitale repeated, mildly dumbfounded by the concept. Ignoring the shakiness in Moses' voice and trying not to focus on the close quarters, he made a slightly discontented noise. "I feel like that's just not smart. It must be so challenging to be without eyesight and someone startling you in such a way or not taking your thoughts and feelings into mind... Sounds really nonsense to me. I hope I wouldn't behave so ignorantly, but please feel free to correct me if I do something offensive or otherwise unsettling to you." Vitale felt far from confident, but at the very least he knew his comfort wasn't as important as Moses' in this situation. After all, Vitale wasn't the one having to put a massive amount of faith in another human being just to move about.

A part of Vitale wondered if Moses could feel or hear the way his heart was thundering wildly in his chest. At a slow pace he began to lead the other man forward towards the cafeteria, assuming based on what he'd muttered before that it was where he was heading. "I don't think I've actually ever had the chance to speak with you before, Moses. If it's not too forward to inquire, what kinds of things do you do for fun? I don't entirely recall seeing you around campus much."
note/tag
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Cbox Rules

• ONE | Use your OOC name to chat in the cbox.
  • TWO | Keep cbox topics appropriate.
  • THREE | Do not pester members or staff regarding threads, posts or applications.
  • FOUR | Be respectful.
  • FIVE | Be welcoming to all members and guests.
  • SIX | Please read our rules and lore before asking questions!
  • SEVEN | Do not advertise.
  • EIGHT | Please take concerns to staff private message!
  • NINE | Remember: the cbox is a privilege, not a right!
Full Cbox Rules
a resource community Candyland Couture
Bleach Platinum Hearts Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Sengoku Horizon Black Prism Once Upon a Nightmare Rise of the Believers Those Among Us Code 8 Yuri Roleplay Avalon a Panfandom RP fugue state DBS Topsy Turvy ruinandrise Ferocious Save Me STARSTRUKK - ANIMANGA ENTERTAINMENT CITY RP TR We Are Deathless Azelania All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥