Add Reply
New Poll

One More Game, Tanner | Ruru
Mutant
  • 24 yrs
  • Lusting After
  • Tanner Holt
Posted On: Sep 14 2016, 12:12 AM

It wasn't often that Avery would skulk around the seedier parts of Occulte in the middle of the night, and it was even less often that he would do that while smoking a cigarette, but there was a very specific reason why he would and it was always the exact same: Tanner. Taking a drag, Avery looked off into the dark streets to examine every flashing light that made him think of that damned man, cursing his luck that he hadn't been fortunate enough to just fall asleep when his head hit the pillow three hours ago. It was late, his body was humming with a mildly unsettling amount of energy, and he wanted one more frustrating game with a stupid son of a bitch. Avery let out his breath and watched the smoke curl up around him for a few long moments before he flicked out the cigarette and palmed the door to the little club he'd been standing outside of. If Tanner wasn't home right now, then there was nowhere else he'd be but this dump, pawning money off of even bigger idiots in games he cheated his way through.

Avery had to corral his thoughts as he stepped through the threshold. A strong smell of booze and desperation hung heavy in the air, there was a din of conversations both spirited and painfully miserable. Almost instantly he saw it- that familiar crop of pinkish red hair and the typical shit eating grin that was barely hidden behind a row of cards. The sight of Tanner made Avery's blood race, made his chest tighten. The mutant wanted to blame it on his condition. After all, the pair had been doing whatever it was they were doing together for a short time- friendly acquaintances he guessed- and the more time that they spent together the more Avery felt... he shook the thoughts from his head as he slowly walked through the crowd. Along the edges of the room were a few decorative plants that had received disgustingly sub-par treatment, so as he passed them he threaded some of his energy into them. The greenery instantly burst back to full health and Avery supposed he felt a little less of the nervous energy.

Until he turned his gaze back to Tanner, that was. Every second he examined the man he felt an odd kind of desperation to get closer. To learn more. To be more important to him. It became harder to breathe as Avery watched Tanner beat the fools who were playing with him- the pair groaned and whined, but handed over the money they owed and cursed as they slunk away pathetically. If he didn't decide to approach Tanner then, Avery knew he wouldn't get the courage. The mutant steadied his breathing a little and slid into the chair opposite Tanner as if it were entirely natural. Thankfully he managed to keep his expression a mask of mildly amused even though his heart was pounding in his chest. "As sharp as ever with the cards, I see," Avery commented, almost disinterested. The waved to a server to order a beer before turning his attention fully back to the other man saying, "You wouldn't happen to want to deal me in for a round, would you?"

What Avery wasn't saying was that he had been practicing his hand at the typical card games Tanner played in the hopes of beating him one day, maybe giving him a good little scare. It would be even better if he managed to win a few dollars off of Tanner in the progress- that would really get to him.
notes
Cubus
  • 26 yrs
  • taken
  • avery matthews
You catch more flies with honey, but you catch more honeys being fly
Posted On: Sep 14 2016, 11:32 PM

He’d left the house that night because he needed to. Every time he’d try to do something his mind would wander in a direction that was starting to piss him off. He felt stiff and restless and he needed to just get out. Get a few drinks, play a few rounds of cards, win a few bucks. So he headed to one place he knew he’d always be welcomed. Sometimes with a grin, sometimes with an insult, but always welcome and his shot glass would never go empty. It didn’t take long for him to rustle up a few guys to play poker with at one of the small tables in the back. It took even less time for his pile of money to almost tripled. Tanner shook his head and sipped his beer as the guys at the table bitched about losing yet another round. What the hell were they expecting?

“Sorry boys, looks like it’s just not your night,” There was a curl to his lips as he picked up the money tossed angrily on the table. Easy pickings, and he hadn’t even had to count even one hand. They just had lousy faces and the most basic of tells. If the old guy had something good, his eyebrows went up, just slightly, but if his hand was shit, he’d basically make a duckface for five seconds before boasting about how great his cards were. And the other guy would sneeze if he had a bad hand, and clear his throat when it was something good. Tanner’s eyes rolled. He wanted excitement, something to keep his mind occupied and off of something--- someone-- else. And this was what he got instead. Really, what did he expect playing with drunken idiots in a seedy little bar. A quick shuffle, a sneeze and one particularly high eyebrow raise later and Tanner was staring down his hand. Now he counted, quickly and so discreetly no one who didn’t know him would have been able to notice. And then he smirked when the river was flipped. His win. Again.

There was a series of groans, complaints and quite a few insults to Tanner’s saintly mother that had him laughing. His back was to the door but he felt the difference almost immediately. He knew the exact moment when Avery, the person he’d been trying to take his mind off of walked in and felt his stomach tense when he glanced up to confirm. The tension in his stomach spread quickly through his chest and squeezed. What kind of twisted bullshit was this? What the hell was Avery doing there? He knew the answer though, Avery only came to these places for one reason. Releasing the breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding, Tanner gave the guys at the table a cocky smile as they both stood up. “Aw, you guys’re done already? And here I was hopin’ t’make serious money tonight.” He laughed at the middle finger shot in his direction before sliding his winnings into the pocket of the pants he’d just tossed on when he left his apartment.

When he looked back up, he almost blanked. Avery was sitting across from him, looking almost amused. A jolt went through him and quickly he recovered. “Avery,” Tanner’s smirk was instant,“I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Come here often, what’s a nice guy like you doing in a shit hole like this? There were cornier ways to open a conversation and really, Tanner in hindsight realized he should have started with one of those. It was a lot more casual. He sat there, casually shuffling the deck of playing cards as he watched Avery order a beer. His smirked turned into a grin and he leaned forward, “You really wanna play?” They played once in awhile, but it wasn’t usually Avery’s suggestion.

“Sure, why the hell not.” Tanner’s eyes were lit with a challenge. Avery was always, always harder to read. Not just in cards either. He shuffled the cards properly, Two cards went to Avery, to cards in front of himself and a dollar was placed on the table. “Heads up okay with you?”

ytn
Mutant
  • 24 yrs
  • Lusting After
  • Tanner Holt
Posted On: Sep 15 2016, 05:17 PM

No matter what Avery did, he couldn't help but feel a little twisted knot of frustration when he came face to face with Tanner- especially when it seemed like he never caught him off guard. (Was Avery blinded by his own distressed emotions? Perhaps, but he wouldn't admit as much to himself.) The familiar smirk on Tanner's face fed Avery's complex and frustrated emotions, so he tried to smooth out any unwanted emotions in his own expression. He worried that somehow Tanner might be able to read his inner turmoil, or perhaps taste the lust he felt and wouldn't admit to. Smoothing a line in his shirt, Avery smiled casually at the other man. "It's not altogether too often that I feel like I could use a drink, but even I succumb to those human follies every once and a while," his voice was smooth in spite of his nerves. The answer was very Avery- but he didn't feel very Avery. He felt wired, twisted up and strung out. He felt like a fucking addict.

A little thread of excitement wrapped around Avery's neck, constricting his breathing faintly, when he saw the way Tanner reacted. It was right that they didn't play together often... but that was part by design. After realizing how abysmal he was compared to Tanner, Avery had chosen to limit how often they played together. The last three games he had been holding back, trying to gauge if there was any way he could beat the man- or maybe he was trying to lower his expectations a little so he didn't feel the need to count cards while they played together. "If I don't indulge your fancies every once and a while, what kind of a friend would I really be?" Avery smiled, feeling beneath the surface how the word friend made him sick to his stomach. He didn't understand that, he chose to ignore it.

"Heads up is perfectly fine," Avery replied, waving his hand dismissively. The fire of challenge in Tanner's eyes excited him more than it should have. He wanted to exceed expectations, throw Tanner off for once and maybe catch his expression twisted up into something that wasn't a cocky smirk or playful grin. That seemed like an oddly dark thought, the more Avery considered it. The man shook off his thoughts and took a drink as the cards were placed before him. Heads up, he thought quietly to himself. A challenging when he wasn't very confident in reading Tanner's expressions or his tells. Did he even have a tell? Avery couldn't say. Idly, the mutant looked to his friend and considered his expression while he asked, "Have you been keeping yourself busy? It's been some time since I last ran into you." Casually said, he didn't think it revealed how much it troubled him. Whatever the pair had going on between them, it was complex and neither was excited to discuss it.

Avery slid his cards a little closer to examine as he waited for a response. The cards sent a little constricting feeling through Avery's chest as he saw them- he didn't reveal it. Two queens. It didn't matter that it was unbelievable luck, it was more the concept of what the cards stood for that made Avery want to fold his hand immediately and walk away from the table. Queens. An off color term in certain situations... he eyed Tanner and pictured everything they ended up doing together, feeling the constricting feeling tightening. Disgusting. The man placed his bet on the table and looked over his glasses nonchalantly.
notes
Cubus
  • 26 yrs
  • taken
  • avery matthews
Posted On: Sep 18 2016, 10:42 PM

Heads Up was a more strategic game, one that was more about analyzing the other player. It was about being the better bold faced liar. It was perfect for the pair at the small table. His hands tensed as he dealt the cards for only a second. Friends. And then Tanner laughed, though to his own ears it sounded weird. He was sure Avery wouldn't pick up on the difference though, and if he did what would he say? Nothing most likely. And he could easily play it off, say that someone across the room had been shot down so thoroughly his pride hurt for the other person. He wouldn’t let the word friends bother him.

There was no change to Tanner's expression, his lips remained curled easily. He didn’t want to let it bother him. But there was a burning in his chest as he continued to think about that word and everything that it usually meant. Were they friends? They had a twisted version of friendship if that were the case. He’d never done some of the things he’d done with Avery with any of his other friends. But he let it stand, because there was no way they were anything else. Everything else they could have been bordered a very thin threshold he wasn’t sure he wanted to cross yet. Never mind if Avery would want to cross with him. They were friends. That was it. Friends.

Tanner hummed appreciatively before sipping his beer murmuring, "Yeah what kind of friends would we be if we didn't indulge each other." Then he laughed, a more natural sound this time. “Don’t expect me to return that favor. I already tried to read that Shakespeare shit you leave lying around everywhere.”

He looked at Avery and gave him a very relaxed grin. "I've been busy, you know how it is. Picked up a few games here and there, did pretty well." He brushed back the hair from his face. Shifting to slouch more than properly sit in his chair, he felt one of his knees bump Avery, though he didn’t react. After a quiet moment he chuckled,, “I didn’t think you’d pull your face from your petunias any time soon.” There was a note of teasing in his voice. Teasing, and none of the concern. Having gone a few days without seeing Avery meant either Avery’s house was slowly turning into the Amazon or he was dealing with the intense energy surges. Avery didn’t seem like he was in pain, so Tanner was not about to offer to his services. Maybe the plants had actually been helping.

Tanner picked up the cards he'd dealt himself and matched Avery's bet without a word. Then, as though considering it he added more to the pile. He had no clue what Avery was thinking, no idea what kind of hand he’d dealt the other man. But he didn’t see the point of backing down. Not as his game. And maybe his own cards weren’t great, maybe he’d given Avery a lousy high card hand. The cards in own hand were nothing impressive, not a pair, nothing. Not even a high card to ride on. An 8 and a 5, both of hearts. In a normal game he'd ride this through the flop and then if nothing came up he'd fold. But even without his counting he could really see the potential in front of him.

ytn
Mutant
  • 24 yrs
  • Lusting After
  • Tanner Holt
Posted On: Sep 21 2016, 04:56 AM

All in all, Avery wore his mask well. Slight amusement colored his eyes even though he regretted sitting at the table when he heard Tanner laugh- it was the kind of laugh that grated at his ears with it's slight irregularity. But what was there to say about it? Nothing. Avery and Tanner often acted this way, thinking and doing things without expressing even a fraction of the "truth" that was within. It was easier that way. Easier because Avery himself couldn't face the roiling blackness in his heart. Ignorance in the world could not be forgiven, and yet he was so painfully ignorant of so much he couldn't bring himself to look in the eye. Everything seemed to constrict a little more when Tanner spoke, repeating the word friend and laughing a little better as he made a typical retort.

"Does it count as trying if you glance at the title and scrunch your nose up disapprovingly?" Avery questioned off-handedly. It was bothering him more than he'd admit that Tanner seemed so utterly disinterested in the time they'd spent apart- or maybe he just didn't want to admit that it had bothered him so desperately. It was more than just his reliance... because of the powers. The thoughts slipped from his mind like sand through his hands the instant he felt Tanner's knee bump into him. A little coil of vines touched the surface of his skin- he could feel them forming on his leg. Thankfully out of view, but still troubling that something so simple could awaken the powers he was barely containing beneath the surface. A little crackle of that power went raging through his spine and it took actual effort to keep his face from expressing it. Controlling his voice to the best of his ability, Avery said in a dry tone, "I don't like petunias, they're far too resilient. Orchids on the other hand, they're so stubborn you'd think it was their goal to die..."

As if in response to his frustrations with his own mind, the vines coiled a little farther up his leg. The sensation was one of heat and electricity, it seemed almost as if a vicious wave of nausea would overtake him if it continued. Just another obstacle for their friendly little game, it seemed. Avery wanted to fold his hand immediately so he could leave the situation, claiming he had anything better to do as if Tanner wouldn't be able to see right through him. Instead he looked down at his cards once more and considered his options. It probably wouldn't be unbearably hard to beat Tanner with such a solid setup, but did he want to beat him immediately or did he want to work up towards it? Either way, he figured he'd ride out the flop, so he matched Tanner's bet increase without a solid expression on the matter.

Looking to his friend with a painstakingly crafted mask, Avery tried to gaze into the other man's mind. There was so little to be read from his smug smile, but that wasn't news. They hid things from each other with such skill you would have thought it was their job. Trying to sound just as unconcerned with their distance as Tanner had, or perhaps even more so, Avery muttered, "At any rate, good on you for keeping busy. I haven't received any calls from jail so I'd suppose that meant you actually were doing well for yourself. What's the saying- no news is good news?" He didn't believe it in the slightest, but it seemed the least damning thing to say in the situation. What Avery actually wanted was to spend far more time with Tanner, and not always wrapped up in the sheets either.

Avery adjusted a little himself to try and get more comfortable, or in reality just remove himself enough that he didn't risk another gentle bump from Tanner. He wasn't sure he could take another instance of touch even if it was extremely slight. The vines crackled across his skin with a disgusting power that made him feel weak and desperate. It hurt and he feared he expressed a bit of it through a slight grimace. In an attempt to cover it he asked, "How's the luck been tonight? Judging on the reactions I'd say in your favor."
notes
Cubus
  • 26 yrs
  • taken
  • avery matthews
Posted On: Oct 4 2016, 01:39 PM

It was fine that Avery didn't expect much out of him, reading Shakespeare wasn't his particular style. It was fine, totally, completely fine that Avery seemed to look down on him for it. With a small smile, Tanner shrugged, "I read a little bit. The one thing Shakespeare could do was write a mean insult." He paused and racked his brain for a moment. "I think my favorite was 'I'll beat thee, but I would infect my hands.' Like, how gross do you need to be for that? The problem is that he goes on and on and on about stupid shit."

For him, the touch of Avery's knee to his brought a weird sense of comfort, a feeling that annoyed him just a tad. But then Avery shifted and broke the contact and the feeling that replaced it annoyed him more. Why the hell should he take it personally that Avery moved his knee? Maybe he just wanted to be more comfortable, maybe he just didn't want Tanner touching him. Whatever, like it was important. He'd gone several days without seeing him, and Avery was doing just fine.

His lips remained curved in his casual grin despite the thoughts that were harassing him. With a soft hum of approval for Avery's move, gotta keep the pot fat after all-- the higher the stakes, the better the game, and Tanner's hands moved to flip three more cards. A seven, a nine and a queen. Interesting.

Tanner'd gone to find some games to keep his mind busy and off of Avery and half the time he'd caught himself thinking about the bookish brunet during the games. It was a damn distraction. "Nah, I avoided trouble pretty easily. I mean, there was one guy at one point that I thought wanted to twist me into a pretzel but I talked him down." It was a total lie. The few days had passed without even the slightest hiccup in that regard.

Tanner was watching Avery very closely, probably a little too closely and frowned when he caught a glimpse of something in his eyes. Red eyes narrowed just slightly as he kept the to their conversation and he shrugged, "Well, Lady Luck's been kind to me tonight, but I think those two were just too drunk to care really." His usual smile didn't pop back up however as concern continued to build in him. Finally he stopped trying to smother the worry for Avery. Leaning forward, Tanner asked in a very quiet voice, "Hey... You don't look so good. You okay, Avery?"

ytn
Mutant
  • 24 yrs
  • Lusting After
  • Tanner Holt
Posted On: Oct 6 2016, 01:31 AM

As Tanner claimed to have read any Shakespeare at all, Avery couldn't contain the disbelieving grin from touching his lips. The doubt only faded a little when Tanner went on to explain the one thing he did enjoy- how terribly like him to enjoy the insulting bits. But of course the wit of Shakespeare was quite an amusing matter, even for people who didn't enjoy the plays in their entirety. Instead of harping on the other man some more for his uncultured viewpoint, Avery simply said, "I suppose I'll have to give you credit for getting that far." The man kept his amused expression on his lips for as long as he could manage.

The power that was coursing through his body made things more challenging than he'd like to admit. Avery took special measures to assure that his breathing remained as even as possible as the sharp heat of the buildup worked through his leg. It was a chain of discomfort that worked it's way up his thigh. Feeling the way the power rebelled... Avery felt it all too intimately as Tanner advanced their game a little by flipping three cards. Another queen. He wondered what the chances were that Tanner would be able to best him when he had such a three of a kind... Worse still, he wondered if he really wanted to win or not. There was a nagging sensation slumbering just below the pain of the power buildup. Avery's throat felt dry when he tried to think on it too deeply so he casually turned to his drink once more.

It was odd, hearing how Tanner's life had moved on in such a flawlessly typical way for him even though the pair hadn't spoken in a time. Maybe it was jealousy that sparked in Avery's chest as he considered it- after all, Tanner wasn't the one who would physically begin to crumble if they were apart from each other for too long. A section of Avery's mind was so furious at such things that he considered leaving Tanner in the rear-view mirror for good- find some other way to control his problem that didn't include relying on anyone, least of all someone like... The thoughts seemed to feed that thread of power coiling around his skin, it worked it's way up his thigh a little father than he'd like. Another deep steadying breath slowed the progress. "You always have had a way with words when you were backed into a corner," Avery muttered gently.

Silently the heat worked it's way through his system, no matter how he tried to push it to the back by focusing at the game at hand. With good cards, Avery should have been pleased. The mutant should have been trying a little harder to con Tanner out of his money, maybe by playing a reluctant expression before he himself bet. Instead he was struggling to hold his composure and nearly let everything spill the instant that he noticed Tanner leaning forward a little. The gentle tone of his voice and the actual concern in his voice made Avery's heart thunder in his chest, he felt the vines feeding on his suddenly frantic emotion. Avery's first instinct was to play it off, so he leaned back in his chair and forced an unconvincing smile to his lips, "Must be fatigue, or the like."

In truth, Avery had to lean back so that Tanner didn't get a particularly good look at him. Struggling to keep composure was harder when he was... emotional. And for reasons that he didn't understand, Tanner being concerned for him made him for more irrational and emotionally charged than was acceptable. Avery tried to look down to the cards in his hand, but felt the way his sight blurred over and barred him from focusing. A knot of frustration formed in his gut as he placed his cards face down and leaned back into the table, narrowing his eyes a little as he asked, "Why do you ask, anyway? Surely it's not simply that it's so unusual for me to be out?" He was unsure what kind of answer he was looking for, but he was nigh certain he couldn't continue to lie right to Tanner's face when his body was so prepared to betray him. As he spoke a little curl of vines worked it's way up his torso. Unknown to Avery, a little splotch of green appeared on his collarbone.
notes
Cubus
  • 26 yrs
  • taken
  • avery matthews
Posted On: Nov 29 2016, 01:21 PM

Tanner scanned his cards, then after waiting a few seconds flipped another card. A four. Yeah the game was looking good for him. But he soon found himself distracted from the cards by Avery’s movements. His eyes were drawn to the way Avery was holding himself, the deep steadying breath. It was clear as the moon in the sky that Avery wasn’t okay in the slightest. But he’d still shrug it off. Tanner’s eyes narrowed. ”Sure, fatigue.”

He tried to not be annoyed, he knew when he was being lied to. He knew that if Avery was going to lie about it, then it was clear he didn’t want to talk about it but the worry for Avery was so strong that he didn’t just let the topic drop, “Not getting enough sleep or something? You should put the books away for a few hours.”

It wasn’t as though he wanted to, it was more that he really couldn’t stop himself from looking over Avery’ form. No, it wasn’t too unusual for Avery to come out. For him to go to a dive like this, sure that was unusual, but not out in general. As his eyes took in Avery something caught his eyes. Tanner noticed something right at the edges of the shirt Avery wore. Internally he swore and it was clear from the way his eyes narrowed that he wasn’t happy. He frowned immediately, placing his cards on the table. "You look a little green."

He didn't care if Avery chose not to go to him to help with the energy, he knew it wasn’t Avery’s ideal way of handling the problem. But at the same time, he was angry that Avery would prefer to suffer rather than just reach out. Tanner knew he probably disgusted Avery, but he couldn't avoid the twinge of hurt. Though he hadn't wanted to think about it, Tanner was coming to the conclusion that Avery hadn't been properly taking care of himself, a fact that ticked him off enough that he reached out and poked at the little green splotch that he'd noticed. "Forget to feed the petunias today Velma?" he asked dryly.

ytn
Mutant
  • 24 yrs
  • Lusting After
  • Tanner Holt
Posted On: Dec 14 2016, 01:37 PM

It was one thing to not have control, it was another to have just enough and then watch it slowly slip through his fingers. Logic dictated he couldn't continue on like this forever, but he still floundered and attempted to hold to his composure as he watched Tanner doubt his words. Avery might as well have admitted he was lying with how well his little fibs were landing. Of the two of them, Tanner always was the one more skilled with his words. It was hard to focus on anything besides the little emotions that were being displayed and attempting to dissect them to no avail. "I read as I see fit, I don't need you to mother me," his words came out far more sharp than he'd intended for the simple fact that he knew he was worthlessly trying to maintain a lie. A lie that was bound to be found out because his biological process surrounding his power were as obvious as could be.

It was as far from relief as could be when Avery had to watch Tanner put down his cards. The game was over then? A part of the man wanted to fight it, push his luck with distractions as far as he possibly could. The other part of him knew all too well that the time for games was behind him. Pulsing energy coursed through his form and intensified with every passing moment. Soon vines would completely overtake his skin and the pain would be impossible to hide with glancing flinches and uncomfortable shifting. Avery could tell he had set off Tanner with his deception and he suddenly felt quite naked. Placing his own cards down on the table, he cast his eyes straight to Tanner's and prayed silently for strength.

Strength did come, for a short time. Avery felt almost ready to respond to Tanner, had a fair number of ideas fully formed and on the tip of his tongue when rather suddenly he felt Tanner poke at him. Strength crumbled, thoughts dissipated, and Avery was lost within himself. At every attempted thought he floundered, uncertain what the best course of action was at that point. It wasn't in his nature to fall to his knees and beg the assistance and attentions of a man who seemed just as well of with or without him. Yet Avery needed him... Sounding almost as a child he uttered, "I didn't come here to be mocked or teased by you, Tanner. If only mere petunias were what I needed."

He instantly regretted the words, if not for their harsh edge then for their telling nature. Need laid bare. Avery was ashamed of the forwardness in it all, and weary for the fact that all he wished was to hold Tanner's face in his hands and press his lips... Vines twisted and choked off his mind. "I don't believe I've had enough to drink to endure this," he gently said, a nervous flutter in his chest. Filled with disgust for himself and irritation that he was so utterly insecure, Avery continued to say, "Maybe it's best I leave now, it's clear my presence does nothing but irritate you anyway and I'm sure a night of stealing money from strangers would cure your mood."
notes
Cubus
  • 26 yrs
  • taken
  • avery matthews
Posted On: Jun 6 2017, 12:41 PM

Maybe Avery just had a way of pushing his buttons but Tanner felt his blood heat up. He wished, for just one small moment, he could stop himself from worrying about the man in front of him, or that he could do something to tip the balance, just a little. One way or another. ‘Friendship’ be damned really. But even as he felt the urge of emotion, raw and uncontrollable, he smirked. “There are better ways to keep yourself up at night Avery.” He teased.

It was his act, his mask of carelessness that he slipped on every time he saw Avery. Every time Avery came to him there was a gnawing hunger that he slapped down, an almost desperate need. A desire to hold Avery close to him and never let go.. When part of him wanted to reach over and strangle the brunet and the other part wanted to kiss him until they both were breathless. Either way Tanner wanted to knock the breath out of Avery, to even the playing field just a little in his favor.

Instead he smiled and waited, waited and hoped that maybe, just maybe someday Avery would stop feeling disgusted by who-- what-- Tanner was. Every smile and airy comment hurt, but like hell he would admit it. And really, what kind of idiot was he to let it continue this way? The biggest idiot, because he couldn’t find it in himself to do something to actually change it, and instead faked nonchalance when he pulled his hand away from the edges of Avery’s collar.

His fingertip seemed to burn where it touched Avery’s skin. Just that. Just the slightest contact and he felt like he was burning. It was always the case when Avery was involved. And as his eyes met Avery’s, there was a sharp tug in his chest, needs that he often ignored immediately bubbling to the surface only to be trampled down. “It’s such a pain for you isn’t it? Asking for me, needing my help.” He said it softly, and there was a hint to his hurt in the words. For just a second, Tanner’s mask slipped.

But then he shrugged, the movement lazy and relaxed to try and cover up the slip of emotion. He shifted, leaning towards Avery. Not close enough, never close enough. “Maybe you should. I don’t think I have the patience to deal with your wishwashiness today Avery.” He wasn’t going to let Avery be the one to walk out though.

“When you make up your mind about what you want, you make sure to come and find me. ” As though he had no a care in the world, Tanner stood up. He glanced back at the table for a second and then reached down, flipping the last card to reveal a 6. With a little chuckle, he stepped away from the table.

“I win.”

ytn
Mutant
  • 24 yrs
  • Lusting After
  • Tanner Holt
Posted On: Jul 11 2017, 02:53 AM

Avery wished more than anything that he would stop having to feel like this whenever he and Tanner spoke. The mix of misery, frustration, anger, and... other things. Things he couldn't dare name, nor consider too heavily lest he fall in deeper than he could escape from. You reap what you sow, or so it was said. Avery could have screamed or wept or even laughed at how that made him feel. The way that Tanner gently teased him about "better ways" to stay up at night made him lean more towards the screaming thing. Maybe if the damn incubus wasn't so put-together all the time Avery would feel better for being such a pathetic mess every time they were together. Surely Tanner didn't think very highly of Avery, he always seemed more irritated if things got too serious. Like maybe all Avery was good for was being a plaything, something to tease and screw if the weather was fair for it. Not as if Tanner enjoyed him as much as he must have enjoyed some of the others he was with... Avery tried to clear his mind of the thoughts.

"A field in which I'm sure you're an expert," he retorted in a soft voice. Defeated was the best word for the instance, he felt as if there was no way to "best" someone who must have surely seen him as a terrible bore. Cursing everything, he could barely remember how most of the conversation had gone up until that point. Effectively destroying his own rationality had become something of a new hobby for him, Avery thought bitterly. In what he hoped would not be a fruitless attempt to center himself the Mutant discarded every stray emotion or cognition that was leading him astray and returned to the basics. Careful observation, analyzing the situation and the people in it. Knowing everything he needed to of himself, Avery turned his critical eyes on Tanner. A little doubt was already blossoming in his chest as he took in the features of the man before him, the way his typically cocky smile felt off or how his eyes looked ready to say something that his lips might never dare.

“It’s such a pain for you isn’t it? Asking for me, needing my help."

Something in the words felt heavy to Avery. Perhaps he was being blind, but he could see something in those words and in the expression that they were delivered with that pressed on his chest and made him question... far too much. Just as quick as he thought he saw something it was replaced with a very Tanner kind of shrug. What he said next as he leaned in close made everything blank out for a few moments. Fuzzy, then a little snap. Frustration. Desperation. Damned Tanner always seemed to be so confident, so sure, and never concerned about the way things went between them. It burned Avery to look into that face and hear the words "I win" as he made to leave. Damn it all. Damn everything, he thought bitterly, that made him constantly gravitate back towards this man that probably couldn't give a damn if he disappeared one night. "How pointless to seek out someone who seems to find my behavior so vexatious. Better I leave you to your own devices," his voice was soft as he stood, looking down on the cards with a pure irritation.

"My apologies for disturbing your fun-filled evening." Avery stood and cast a weary pained glance towards Tanner. Looking at the form of the man who had already decided to leave before Avery could have the 'pleasure' of doing so made him feel ill. Somehow that was more distressing to him than the tendrils of his power that had curled around his form more pervasively.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Cbox Rules

• ONE | Use your OOC name to chat in the cbox.
  • TWO | Keep cbox topics appropriate.
  • THREE | Do not pester members or staff regarding threads, posts or applications.
  • FOUR | Be respectful.
  • FIVE | Be welcoming to all members and guests.
  • SIX | Please read our rules and lore before asking questions!
  • SEVEN | Do not advertise.
  • EIGHT | Please take concerns to staff private message!
  • NINE | Remember: the cbox is a privilege, not a right!
Full Cbox Rules
a resource community Candyland Couture
Bleach Platinum Hearts Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Sengoku Horizon Black Prism Once Upon a Nightmare Rise of the Believers Those Among Us Code 8 Yuri Roleplay Avalon a Panfandom RP fugue state DBS Topsy Turvy ruinandrise Ferocious Save Me STARSTRUKK - ANIMANGA ENTERTAINMENT CITY RP TR We Are Deathless Azelania All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥ All of Me ♥